2018 Gala Awardees and Keynote Speaker
Thank you to all who attended the 2018 NEWIEE Gala, and congratulations to our awardees!
- Janet Coit, Director, Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management
- Emily Reichert, CEO, Greentown Labs
- Lisa Szewczul, Vice President, Environment, Health and Safety, Pratt and Whitney
RISING STAR AWARDEE:
- Kate Bashford Epsen, Executive Director, New Hampshire Sustainable Energy Association
- Stephanie Pollack, Secretary and CEO, Massachusetts Department of Transportation, Board Member, Massachusetts Port Authority
About the NEWIEE Awards
The NEWIEE Awards are presented at the annual NEWIEE Gala to honor and celebrate the achievements of women leaders in the energy and environment industry.
The Achievement Award honors women who have achieved professional excellence within their area of specialty and have actively paved the way to success for other women in similar or related professional areas. These women demonstrate excellence in a variety of professional settings, including leadership on the national, regional, or local level.
Previous Achievement Awardees and their professional titles at the time:
- 2017 – Anne George, Vice President, External Affairs and Corporate Communications, ISO New England
- 2017 – Meredith Hatfield, Program Officer, Clean Energy, Barr Foundation
- 2016 – Cynthia A. Arcate, CEO and President, PowerOptions, Inc.
- 2016 – Marion S. Gold, Ph.D., Commissioner, Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources
- 2016 – Penni McLean-Conner, Chief Customer Officer and Senior VP, Customer Group, Eversource Energy
- 2015 – Sara J. Burns, President and CEO, Central Maine Power
- 2015 – Heather Hunt, in honor of Allison Smith, Executive Director, New England States Committee on Electricity
- 2015 – Nancy L. Seidman, Assistant Commissioner, Bureau of Air and Waste, Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
- 2014 – Alicia Barton, CEO, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
- 2014 – Janet Gail Besser, Vice President of Policy and Government Affairs, New England Clean Energy Council
- 2014 – Elin Swanson Katz, Consumer Counsel, State of Connecticut
- 2013 – Susan Coakley, Executive Director, North East Energy Partnerships
- 2013 – Mary Beth Gentleman, Partner, Foley Hoag
- 2013 – Rebecca Tepper, General Counsel, Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities
- 2012 – Sonia Hamel, Consultant to foundations, non-profits, and governments
- 2012 – Edna Karanian, Director, Yankee Gas System Operations
- 2012 – Barbara Kates-Garnick, Independent Consultant, Former Undersecretary for Energy in the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs
- 2011 – Nancy Hazard, Former Director of NESEA, Greening Greenfield Campaign
- 2011 – Denise Nappier, Connecticut State Treasurer
- 2011 – Karen Weber, Executive Director of Foundation for a Green Future, Coordinator of Boston Greenfest
The Leadership Award honors women who have promoted opportunities for women in the energy and environmental fields, and have continued to nurture and encourage women in these areas throughout their careers.
Previous Leadership Awardees and their professional titles at the time:
- 2017 – Marcy Reed, President, National Grid Massachusetts
- 2015 – Judith Nitsch, PE, LEED AP BD+C, Founding Principal and Chairman, Nitsch Engineering
- 2014 – Patricia Stanton, Senior Vice President of Policy and Advocacy, Conservation Services Group
- 2013 – Sue Tierney, Ph.D., Senior Advisor, The Analysis Group
- 2012 – Joan Bok, Former Chairman of the New England Electric System
- 2011 – Mildred Dresselhaus, MIT
The Rising Star Award, in honor of Allison Smith was created in 2016 to honor a woman with less than ten years of industry experience who has demonstrated a commitment to, and positive impact on, her field; both professionally and in her personal endeavors.
Previous Rising Star Awardees and their professional titles at the time:
- 2017 – Tamika Jacques, Ed.D., Director of Workforce Development, Massachusetts Clean Energy Center
- 2016 – Abigail Krich, President, Boreas Renewables, LLC
Special NEWIEE Board Recognition Award
At the 2017 NEWIEE Gala, NEWIEE Board President, Beth Barton, presented The Honorable Gina McCarthy with a Special NEWIEE Board Recognition Award.
Gina McCarthy, Former Administrator of the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Senior Fellow at the Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics, and Menschel Senior Leadership Fellow at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, stirred Gala attendees with an inspiring message about the importance of our continued work in the energy and environment fields.
NEWIEE Gala Keynote Speakers
Thank You to the previous NEWIEE Gala Keynote Speakers
- 2017 – Maryrose Sylvester, President and CEO, Current Powered by GE
- 2016 – Mary Powell, President and CEO Green Mountain Power
- 2015 – Cheryl Martin, Ph.D., Former Acting Director Advanced Research Projects Agency – Energy
- 2014 – Karen Gordon Mills, Former Administrator, Small Business Administration
- 2013 – Cheryl A. LaFleur, Commissioner, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
- 2012 – Janet Gail Besser, Vice President, Policy and Government Affairs, New England Clean Energy Council
- 2011 – Marcy L. Reed, President, National Grid of Massachusetts